Monday, February 11, 2013

Food: It's a learning experience

George was in charge for meatless this week and he cooked out of the Redwall Cookbook. I don't remember what it was called in the book, but it was savory vegetable pancakes. Made with potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions and binding agents. First time for parsnips, they added a little sharp/sweet taste. George started out hand shredding the veggies, but soon went with the food processor. He said hand shredding would build muscles and was good for you. I suggested eating in a reasonable amount of time was good for you too. I fried them up because I figured it would be faster. After the first batch, I made one big pancake in the pan and then cut it like hash-browns to flip. Dropping by tablespoons took to long. Samantha and I loved them, Rebecca immediately declared never again and George and Eric were on the fence. Definitely not the best main dish, but a yummy side in place of hash-browns or fries, I think.

George also made sugarless banana cake from his Star Wars Cookbook. Great breakfast cake, but I think next time we'll drizzle a little glaze over the top. Just to add a bit of sweet.

We went over the last few months of food experiments and for breakfast highly recommend Baked Oatmeal.  French Toast Strata and Caramel French Toast are good, but not for every day. (all Taste of Home recipes) For dinner we didn't like most of the meatless ideas. I'm thinking to try black bean burgers again, but with a different bread crumb. I think I used rye last time. Vegetable strata was nothing exciting. Potato soup was yummy and baked potato bar worked too. We'll keep on trying new things and expanding our horizons.

Book recommendation -
Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart. Absolutely fascinating reading. Non-fiction usually is slow going for me. Not this book. I will be on the lookout for a cheap copy of my own. Borrowed this one from the library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment